Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Introduction

Our family history encompasses much more that a list of ancestors, their birth/death dates, etc.  And it reaches well beyond a straight line along the paternal line.  The subject of this blog focuses on my maternal Coleman family line.

If you have even a little experience with family histories / genealogy, you will already have found that this is not "an exact science."  Often, you will be forced to speculate, guess, and estimate information based on the best information available to you at the time.  This means that you may have made a mistake - if someone provides you with better data, admit that you made a mistake, correct it, and thank the other person for their help.  The further back you travel into your family history, the more people you will find who have traced their own families back to a common ancestor.  Therefore, some of them may have more accurate data, photos, documents, etc. that were not available to you.

It is my belief that this information should be freely shared.  The more people who have accurate data on your ancestors, the more likely that it will survive!

I have recently published a Coleman Family Genealogy book titled Who Came Before - The Coleman FamilyIt was first published in November 2017, and I have already found additional information that is not contained therein.  No family history is ever "complete."  There is always more, even if you cannot find it - you hit the proverbial "Brick Wall."

So, as I move forward with this blog, I plan to share information about individual people in my Coleman family history.  I encourage you to review the information provided and compare it to the information that you have.  If you find it useful to your research, great.  You may find that we share a common connection.  If you have questions, ask.  If you think my research may be incorrect, tell me and tell me why - share your sources so that I and others can consider them and make any appropriate changes.  If you have additional information - share it here so that others in our extended family can learn more.  Please, however, be kind.  We all make mistakes - sometimes "stupid" mistakes.  It doesn't matter how much experience you have, you can still make mistakes.

My Coleman Family research begins in 1598 in Evesham, Worcestershire, England, with Thomas Coleman (my 8th great grandfather).

I hope you enjoy this adventure, and I look forward to your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reuben L. Coleman (1781-1848)

Reuben L. Coleman was my 3rd Great Grandfather.  He was born in 1781 in Litchfield County, Connecticut to Thomas and Anna (Shaylor) Coleman....